Thursday, August 14, 2014

Chasing waterfalls after hurricane Iselle

Friday I had the day off like most of us in Hawaii waiting for hurricane Iselle.  On Oahu I spent most of the day cooped up waiting but nothing came.  Only some rain and bouts of rain.  By the time noon rolled around I got so bored Katie and I ventured out to see what kind of waterfalls were flowing.  We drove the H3 and only saw trickles of water.  We went to the east side and it was the same story.  I was bummed that there wasn't any more water flowing from the waterfalls.  The following day we woke up to rain and gloomy weather.  I joked that this day looked worst that hurricane day when it was supposed to be really bad. 

I decided that going back to the hike dubbed "town waterfalls loop" would be a good.  Joining me and Katie was Matt, Cory, Lynne, Amanda, Garvin, Emma, Andrew, Aprille, and Darren.  They were all excited since most of them didn't come with me on my last three times I was there.  I ranted and raved about the hike for the past few months saying I need to go back because it was so fun. 

We started the hike early since I knew it would take a good 6-8 hours completing the loop.  We made our way through the well trodden trail to where the stream take over and you have to rock hop and wade through pools of water.  I was happy to see that the water level was pretty high and flowing pretty good.  Cory led the charge up most of the waterfalls showing the beginners the beta on how to easily climb them.  When we got to the tall waterfall we made our way up the left side instead of going straight up the waterfall.  When we got to the top there were still many more waterfalls we needed to climb but nothing like the first couple of obstacles. 

The higher we got the less flow there was.  We took a break before the last push before the summit.  We ate lunch and looked at plants.  The higher we went the more native the plants got.  After our break we climbed a waterfall using the rock face and uki grass that was growing on the face of the waterfall.  The waterfall above that there were two ways up it.  Straight up the waterfall with an overhanging section or a contour on the left side which proved to be a lot more slippery.  Cory stayed at the over hanging part and yanked people up over it.  The last section was a good forty to fifty foot face with uki grass covering it.  Cory scrambled up and layed down some paracord line for the rest of the group.  Emma after him who was barefoot the entire time made it look easy.  Darren took another rope up which was provided by Garvin just for another safety line.  We all carefully made our way up.  I was the last one to top out meaning I needed to untie the rope and ravel it up.  As soon as I untied it I had too many things in my hand and I dropped the rope all the way to the bottom of the falls.  Major party foul!  I told the people above me that it fell.  They laughed and said I gotta go get it.  Luckily Darren had webbing and threw a fifty footer down just to aid in my descent and ascent again.  I probably wasted thirty minutes doing that!  After this last obstacle we just followed the stream up all the way to the summit. 

Along the stream there were a bunch of more uncommon native plants.  Cyrtandra and Kamakahala lined the banks for the stream.  The amau fern provided contrast against the green lush mountain side.  Loulu palms and alaalawainui grew right on the stream.  It was a pretty cool site to see.  When we topped out we crossed over on the KST going left and back down into the valley.  Clouds rolled in and out making cool scenic changes.  I will never retire this hike.  It's too good of a hike, probably top 5 on Oahu in my book if you like waterfalls! 

All photos are courtesy of Darren, Katie, or myself.  Thanks for submitting!

Garvin follows Amanda up the first big waterfall. 
The rock face and uki grass provide hand holds and foot holds. 


Osprey backpack photo shoot.

  The crew excited to climb the next waterfall. 

Coming back to this trek on my fourth time I noticed a lot more native plants.  Kamakahala were in bloom above one of the waterfalls. 

Ha'iwale were in bloom as well. 


Group shot at our lunch spot. 

The stream was a little brown after passing showers in the morning. 

One of the last major obstacles before the summit.  Lynne shows us how it's done. 

Me being me while climbing waterfalls. 

Along the summit we found some pretty yellow flowers.  Ohe naupaka. 

The group trekking through the clouds making the loop back to our cars. 



Chasing waterfalls after hurricane Iselle from Ryan Chang on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. How long would you say it takes to get to the first falls? Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty gnarly climbing waterfalls

    ReplyDelete