Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Miyajima (Itsukushima Island)

March 24
The next morning we slept in a little.  It was so comfortable because it was a traditional style kind of Japanese hotel with tatami floors and futon beds.  We went downstairs and ate another awesome meal.  It was a full course breakfast meal not like American with sausage eggs bacon but the Japanese kind with tofu, fish and lots of veggies.
It was time to leave Iwakuni and make a stop on the way back to HIroshima in Miyajima.  We took a ferry out to the island where we saw deer and the famous temple with the gate in the water.  The only thing I disliked about Miyajima was the crowds but we managed.
We got back to Hiroshima a little late.  The group split up because some went to the baseball game at Mazda stadium.  The Hiroshima Carps were playing against softbank.  Eric, Caryn my mom and me opted for shopping at Fukuya department store and visited the Hiroshima Genbaku Dome where I could take a few night time pictures.  We came back to the hotel to meet the group but they had already left for dinner.  We decided to eat Okonomiyaki and just so happened the other half of the group was there.  I ate half of a cheese type and other half was Eric's green onion Okonomiyaki.  I decided to get some Sho Chu barley style alcohol drink.  It was one of the strongest drinks I had in a while... Can tell I don't go out too much to drink.

Japanese breakfast at the hotel.

Last goodbyes in the hotel lobby with Uncle Kazuo.

All aboard the Miyajima ferry!

When you first set foot on Itsukushima island off the ferry, this is what you would see during spring time... CROWDS!

Oh and deer!

A deer waiting for his IKAYAKI!

The famous Torii and the not so famous Hawaii people.

The Torii standing alone in the water.

Enter the Dragon... I mean shrine haha!

Wash yo hands before

Some times the tide is out and you are able to walk to the Torii and touch it.

Itsukushima Jinja

Miyajima is known for their rice paddles. 

They have the biggest rice paddle in the world!

Peace park

Genbaku Dome

 Hope Okonomiyaki on the 7th floor?  

 Eric cutting into his onion style okonomiyaki.

 I had the cheese style but got to try some of Eric's one!  So delicious!!!

I had to try an energy drink while in Japan.  I'm addicted to monster energy drink and I wanted to try something different!





 This day was our first chill day.  I actually got to sleep in a little and had a big breakfast!  I wish I had that kind of Japanese breakfast once in a while at home.  Miyajima was really crowded, I wonder if it's this crowded year around.  Some things to check out while on Miyajima are the deer, they are very chill over here.  They don't really beg for food.  Another thing is the Manju.  Miyajima is known for different kind of manju.  Lastly I'm not a fan of it but some of the group had Anago, which is saltwater eel.  I'm guessing Miyajima has a lot of eel nearby.  The food booths are really good too!  They cook the food right in front of you and give it to you fresh!  Another thing I tried was fish cake with asparagus and BACON!  Boy was it delicious.  If you ever get a chance to go to Miyajima go and experience it.  I heard there are a bunch more things to do on the island... If you want more info from a person that lives there go to BUTTERZ PAGE

Lastly we visited the Peace Park in the early evening.  We ate okonomiyaki as well!  I love the Hiroshima style okonomiyaki.  The food was actually layered instead of all mixed up into a batter which I really enjoyed!  If you are ever are in Hiroshima I suggest trying okonomiyaki! 























No comments:

Post a Comment