Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mid morning wave shooting

If you know me I like to shoot shore break waves. I usually shoot near my house either at Makapu'u or Sandy Beach. The thrill of capturing a wave on a camera is so fun. Here are a few pictures I captured these past two days at Sandy beach. The first day was on the 6th and the conditions were ok.

There was a small sand bar and trade winds blowing 20 mph. Sun was out and blazing. There were two other guys with gopros as well. We chatted a little but we were more focused on getting some pictures!


 This barreling wave came to me early in the session.  It seemed as though no one was in the water but just a break over there were about 12 guys out body surfing or body boarding.  

This wave passed the sand bar and stood up in shallow waters.  I'd say it was solid 2ft (Hawaiian size)

A small escape hatch looking at Koko Crater.

A bunch of these came late in my session.  The Gopro was dying and this was one of my last waves I caught.  

The wave turned into a curtain crashing onto shore.  


On the 7th I went out around 9 am to Sandy Beach Park again.  As I pulled into the parking lot a set rolled in and it was barreling.  I quickly parked near the showers and wondered why there weren't too many cars in the lot like yesterday.  I came to the quick realization that the waves were really small, I second guessed going in because it looked like a waste of time but I had to take advantage of the really light trades.  It was completely different in the way the wave face had barely any texture on it.  I slowly put on some sunscreen and looked at the flags barely flapping in the wind.  Here are a few gems a caught on a bright March day.  


 When I got this wave there was some texture on the water but I liked the way the sun was beaming through the top of the wave.  Today I was a little closer to the lifeguard station instead of sitting at "Chambers" where I was sitting yesterday.  

Look how clean the wave is.  No texture and just a FAT lip coming down.  

I took roughly 600 pictures today and this was my last wave.  It was bending towards me and I had to take advantage of being outside of the barrel and shooting into it.  

Of course I touch up my pictures.  What are your thoughts on touching up pictures?  Does it make it better?  Should people "lie"?

 
This is the final product when it goes through Lightroom 4

1 comment:

  1. I like it, they are great. I think "touching" up is fine. It's still a great shot, I'm glad it's possible to edit & enhance the colors.

    ReplyDelete