Saturday, January 12, 2013

2nd is best

I love hiking to waterfalls and today was no different.  This weekend I thought the showers would go away and there would be clear summit views with cloudless skies.  I was wrong!  Last night I made a last minute decision to hike again with a new group.  I was invited again by Kyle, we hiked to some waterfalls in Palolo other wise known as Ka'au Crater or Waiamao stream.  I got to meet a new group of hikers today and they are called W.H.O.R.E.S. (We Hike Oahu's Really Enjoyable Summits) led by Del.
Today I noticed at the trail head that there were so many cars.  More than I had ever seen before for this hike and it made it difficult to find parking.  I quickly got ready because the group had been waiting for me for the past 5 or so minutes and I noticed that the ground was really muddy, water was flowing down the street and light rain was falling.  I was stoked because that meant there was going to be some nice waterfalls.  We pushed off a little after 9 and hiked down to the stream and followed the river bed and pipe.  About 15-20 mins we ran into a few groups of hikers.  These were the guys that had taken up all the parking at the trail head.  I had some small talk with them, asking if the had done the trail before... A lot of them haven't even done it and I told them that they were in for a treat today!  Our group passed a group or two and we made a single file line behind another group arriving at the first waterfall.  I and a few other hikers from our group decided against it because literally there were about 15 people down at the first falls and in front of the pool.  All I wanted to do was take some pictures alone or with the company of my group.  We arrived at the second falls and it was really gorgeous today!  (I had always thought the second waterfall is the best on this hike.)  The rest of the group followed suit and came up shortly after us.  We took a group picture and some shots of the waterfall; we exchanged stories of previous hikes and such.  After snapping some pictures we decided to part ways and a few of us had to return for lunch plans, I on the other hand had to start some homework I've been procrastinating on.  So me and two other hikers from our group trodded back to our cars all muddy yet satisfied on our mornings journey.

 Stoked to see her flowing (shaka)

 Of course the group picture

 Where unicorns drink water from

 Sheeting on a cliff

1 comment:

  1. Del hikes w/ one of my good buddies, Matty one of the guys I traveled to Nicaragua with.

    ReplyDelete