Thursday, January 24, 2013

Multiple choices... Hope I picked the right one.

On Sunday night I still wasn't sure what hike I wanted to do on the holiday Martin Luther King day.  There were so many options of ridge trails because the sky was so clear!  So I told my friend let's keep our options open and see what Monday brings us!

When I woke up the skies seemed gray.  I was quite disappointed but as I started to drive to meet up with them the summits were clear of clouds.  It was a perfect day because the sun wouldn't be beating down on us as we would climb the ridge to the tallest peak on the Ko'olaus.

When I arrived at our meet spot I suggested we do the hike to the tallest peak and told them how long it'll take, they were hesitant at first but they agreed.  We piled into one car and made our way to the trail head.  In order to do this hike you have to connect multiple trails to get to the trail head of the main trail we needed to take.  We raced through the forest and got there in less than an hour!  When we got there I was ecstatic because the weather at the top seemed to be clear!  Since we hiked so fast through the forest we slowed down the pace to a more moderate pace and took breaks as we climbed our way to the top.  We took in all the town side views as we made our way up too!

After three hours of hiking we took a long break at the summit.  When we reached it the clouds started to sock us in but soon cleared because the trades were blowing at a moderate pace.  We saw all the windward ridges and the main trail along the summit.  We were supposed to hike out the same way but I threw in that we should at least cross over to another ridge and make our way down a different way.

We hit another trail to cross over to Manoa Valley.  It took us a little over an hour to cross over but we still had amazing views of the windward side.  We made our way down to Manoa Valley and took a quick swim in one of the stream holes and made our way out.  Our friend Kyle had managed to get us a ride from her friend back to our car.

Enjoy the pics

-Ryan



 Group Go Pro Photo at the summit!

Looking up at clear summits but soon got overcast!

 Town side shot!

 Honolulu International Airport

 Ugly guy ruining the pic! 






Summit Trek to Manoa from Ryan Chang on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment